11.21.2008

Response to Dogfunk's "Snowboard Boot Guide"

First off to give credit where credit is due, I actually started this post as a comment to Shay's blog. But it ended up growing so long and getting quite intricate, so I figured I'd post in up on here. Enjoy!

Everything written below is all in response to THIS blog posting.

I am going to point out a few flaws in all of this. Now I will first off say I do understand that customers shop online for products, why a customer would not take the time to commute to a local shop and try boots on and decide on a purchase amazes me.

First off, when going on Dogfunk's site to access this "Snowboard Boot Guide" the only place I found it could be accessed was once you clicked on the boot section of the page and then looked at the lower left under the listing of brand icons. It was not by any means obvious and easy to find.

I will say that if you're going to sell boots online at least it's a good idea to have a guide for people to start from.

There was also some incorrect or I should say incomplete information in the "Possible Solutions" area of the "Foot Characteristics" chart. I'm not going to go in detailed depth about this one, but I will just say, Van's also uses an inner harness, try explaining what high arches are so the customer may get a better feel for what to look for, you can find inexpensive options to custom footbeds like superfeet for example, I didn't know DC fit a wide foot that's news to me they have seemed to fit pretty damn narrow over the past two seasons and even in your rider reviews they hint towards a DC model fitting what would seem to be tighter overall.

The product rider reviews as a whole were vague at best. I'm sure someone new to the sport could find that information somewhat useful. But reading between the lines it just seemed like extremely random bits of info. First off, what type of riding were each of these riders doing while testing the boot, were they all at the same location? What were the conditions like? How long have they been riding for and what qualifies them to be a trusted and viable source for information in regards to providing a product review? I'm surprised more customers don't ask these questions when they are putting their trust and faith into an online store to provide them with information about products. I also searched the site to try and find where they may have provided more of this information but it was nowhere to be found. I know if I was personally buying boots online I would like to know more than what is included in their profiles.

In reading Shay's blog post I just wanted to test how credible a source this may actually be in purchasing a new pair of boots. So I conducted a live chat with a Gearhead under the premise of being a beginner rider....it went a little something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

One moment please while we route you to a gear expert. You're currently number 1 in queue. Check out Tramdock.com, SteepandCheap.com, WhiskeyMilitia.com & ChainLove.com for up to 80% off the best gear on the planet. We'll be right with you.

Chat InformationThanks for contacting us. My name is *Deleted*, how can I help you?

Me: hello, i'm trying to find some boots and i have no idea where to start

Gearhead: Do you have a price range or brand preference?

Me: well, i'm in my first couple seasons, and i don't want to spend too much

Gearhead: Where on the mountain do you spend most of your time?

Me: pretty much everywhere

Gearhead: Ok, just a moment

Me: ok

Gearhead: Burton Freestyle Snowboard Boot - Men's

Me: how do you feel about that boot?

Gearhead: It's a nice soft boot
Gearhead: I can also recommend something with a medium flex
Gearhead: Also in a reasonable price range

Me: have you rode that boot you just linked me to?

Gearhead: Sorry just linked it to you.
Gearhead: Just trying to think of something that would work good for you in a lower price range
Gearhead: Burton Ruler Snowboard Boot - Men's
Gearhead: This is a good all mountain boot.
Gearhead: It has a more medium flex.

Me: what exactly do you mean by flex?

Gearhead: Just the stiffness of the boot

Me: what kind of flex should i get?

Gearhead: If you don't do anything super aggressive, and you just are looking for something that would be a good all mountain boot I would look more at the Burton Ruler Snowboard Boot - Men's
Gearhead: Or something similar

Me: what makes that boot a good choice for a rider like myself?

Gearhead: First of all price range.
Gearhead: Second, is stiff enough to handle everything on the mountain
Gearhead: But not so stiff that you can't still play around in the park.

Me: is there any other boots you would recommend?

Gearhead: Sure I can show you some more.

Me: yes, please tell me what else you would suggest

Gearhead: ThirtyTwo The Lashed Snowboard Boot - Men's
Gearhead: That would be another one I would recommend.
Gearhead: Very similar but with a more traditional lacing system.

Me: what would make this boot a good choice for myself?

Gearhead: All of the features that you can read about in the specs. there that I sent you as well as the similarities to the second Burton boot I showed you.
Gearhead: Just a similar boot that gives you another lacing system to chose from
Gearhead: "choose"
Gearhead: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Chat InformationThanks for chatting with us today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

First off, if I obviously say that I have no idea where to start shouldn't the first set of questions be in determining what type of boot would be right for me? Not do I have a price range or brand preference. Throughout the whole conversation I was not asked anything about my foot shape/size, or even my gender. It was just assumed I was male because I didn't specify I was female. Not even 4 responses into the chat I am already getting suggestions for a boot. If only it was that easy in person. The funny thing is that after the Freestyle is recommended I then get a recommendation for a Burton Ruler. No mention of the Moto which would seem like a more appropriate boot for someone of the riding level I described. And the Lashed is pretty darn stiff, for a second year rider that may be a little much. Oh, and the lag between their answers was quite long. I ended up just not typing back after my last response because I honestly was waiting so long it became a little ridiculous. And the Gearhead never even asked how much I weighed, how many days I may be getting in, and what type of conditions I would be riding in. It's just a bummer that a site like this would get such good hype over having a great boot fit guide that is only providing mediocre information in regards to purchasing a boot. The guide was somewhat helpful, but by NO means an end all be all to finding a boot. And the online chat customer service was not satisfactory to my standards by any means. Very disappointing.

PLEASE, do yourself a favor consumers and if you truly want a boot that is the right fit for your foot...go into a shop and try them out. Work with a knowledgeable staff member in getting into the right piece of equipment. Snowboarding is hands on and there is a certain element of touching and feeling the product before purchasing that shouldn't be lost. And if you can't find a shop that will take care of you the way you would like to be taken care of, then keep searching.

When you ask yourself, "What boot should I get?" The answer should always be, "The one that fits your foot right." You have to probably try it on first to determine that.

2 comments:

Shayboarder said...

Hey Sarah,

Awesome post and good job critiquing them!

As a guide to help educate, it's a good starting point for people to get more information before going and trying on boots. It's always questionable to buy boots online without trying them on first, but some people just don't have that ability...or are limited to what brands they do have access to and those might not be the best fitting.

The chat part is interesting...I would even send that in to dogfunk and say hey I was reviewing this for my blog and found the advice given was really limited without finding out more about my boot. It didn't even sound like the gearhead gave you the boot guide to reference.

Awesome to read it and thanks for the link!

martinboards said...

first time on your blog and thats a damn good blog post you have. i really like how you tried out dogfunk! good stuff, I'm going to bookmark you as soon as i get home